You are hereHome ›
Danville Community College
Danville Community College (DCC) increased the percentage of students of color and low-income students who reach college-level math from the single digits to more than 30% within four years.
College Success Skills, online supplemental instruction, and tutoring programs help DCC students reach college-level math.
- By Fall 2010, 39% of the 2005 cohort of students of color had advanced to college-level math as had 41% of the 2006 cohort, and 31% of the 2007 cohort.
- Prior to joining Achieving the Dream, the rate was 2%.
- By Fall 2010, 39% of the 2005 cohort of low-income students had advanced to college-level math as had 48% of the 2006 cohort, and 40% of the 2007 cohort.
- Before Achieving the Dream the rate was 8%.
DCC’s 86-acre main campus dates to 1890 when it was the Danville Military Institute. It became a public community college serving the residents of rural Pittsylvania and Halifax counties in the late 1960s with the merger of the Danville Division of Virginia Polytechnic Institute and Danville Technical Institute.
In Fall 2009, the enrollment at DCC was 4,400 and 38% of those students were African American and 2% were Hispanic. Of those students, 26% received Pell grants for that term. In recent years, more than 1,100 DCC students have shared more than $1 million in financial aid from the Tobacco Settlement Funds.
DCC continues its focus on Developmental Math by testing math modules designed by the Virginia Community College System to shorten students’ time in developmental courses.In a 2010 comparison of Virginia’s 23 community colleges, which were based on Fall 2006 cohort performance, DCC was:
- #1 for the percent of students who took Developmental English and graduated or transferred within four years
- #1 for the percent of students passing Developmental Reading within one year
- #2 for the percent of students passing Developmental Writing
- #3 for the percent of students who took Developmental English and then passed English 111 within four years
Student Success Strategies
Danville Community College is using the following strategies to impact student success:
- The Network
- Interventions Showcase
- Right from the Start
- Knowledge Center
- Cutting Edge Series
- Principles and Practices
- Tools for all States
- Achieving Success (Policy Newsletter)
- Data Notes (Data Newsletter)
- Get Involved