You are hereHome ›
Salish Kootenai College
The Salish Kootenai College (SKC) Achieving the Dream Core Team hopes to secure campus-wide buy-in on a data-driven, comprehensive effort to impact student persistence and graduation rates. Previous campus engagement in team-based work with external consultants has led to significant campus change, but we recognize the need for continuing endeavors that will improve the educational equity and opportunity for American Indian students.
Specific goals include:
- Refine campus processes for using data to improve student’s persistence and graduation.
- Employ the Achieve the Dream model to identify specific areas for targeted interventions.
- Scale up existing student academic support programs utilizing institutional-specific research.
- Build on previous successful efforts to focus on student transition points and student subpopulations with lower persistence rates.
Salish Kootenai College (SKC) is the tribal college of the Flathead Indian Reservation, located in western Montana. Since its foundation, SKC has provided educational programs that meet the unique needs of American Indian students and their communities. The College also takes an active role in perpetuating the cultural heritage of the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes, and promotes individual and community development.
SKC has approximately 1000 students, of which about 80% are Native American, representing over 60 different federally recognized tribes and up to 20 states. SKC offers 37 degree programs, including Certificates of Completion, Associate, and Bachelor Degree programs. SKC serves a student population that has been historically underrepresented in higher education. Approximately 70% of students are first generation college students, and between 60 and 70% start in developmental education.
Since 1977, the College has conferred over 3000 degrees. SKC is the heart of economic and intellectual development on the Reservation. While we focus on helping students achieve academic success, we also are dedicated to improving the institutional environment to ensure that all students meet their career and life goals.
- The Network
- Interventions Showcase
- Knowledge Center
- Cutting Edge Series
- Principles and Practices
- Tools for all States
- Achieving Success (Policy Newsletter)
- Data Notes (Data Newsletter)
- Get Involved