You are hereHome ›
June 10-13 in Portland, OR
What is Kickoff Institute?
Kickoff Institute is where your first year as an Achieving the Dream institution officially begins! Participants will work with their coaches to gain an understanding of the Achieving the Dream mission, values, and approaches to the Student-Centered Model of Institutional Improvement. Together, critical tasks will be identified and a plan and action steps will be developed. By the end of Kickoff Institute, participants will have stronger knowledge and skills for integrating student equity, success, and completion agenda and to strengthen the commitment to making evidence-based decisions.
What is included with my participation in Achieving the Dream?
Your participation in Achieving the Dream entitles you to five registrations to the Kickoff Institute. Five members of your core team should attend:
- Director of institutional research
- Academic dean
- Dean of student services
- A key faculty leader
The following meals are included:
- Opening dinner: Sunday June 10 at 6 p.m.
- Breakfast; a full day of events; and lunch: Monday June 11
- Breakfast; a full day of events; and lunch: Tuesday June 12
- Breakfast; a half day of events; and a box lunch: Wednesday, June 13
What is NOT included?
Travel and Ground Transportation
- Colleges are responsible for arranging and funding their travel to and from the Kickoff Institute as well as their lodging. (Please see “How will I get to Kickoff Institute?” below for information on Ground Transportation.)
- Colleges are responsible for arranging and funding lodging for the Kickoff Institute. (Please “How do I reserve a hotel room for Kickoff Institute?” below for hotel registration information.)
Dinner on Monday, June 11, 2012, and Tuesday, June 12, 2012
- Dinner for Monday and Tuesday will be on your own. However, many colleges use the Monday and Tuesday dinner hours as additional time to meet with their team, Leadership Coach and/or Data Coach.
How do I register for Kickoff Institute?
REGISTER HERE! Please complete the registration form via Adobe Forms. Once the registration form is complete, an automatic confirmation will be sent to the email address provided. If you have any questions in the meantime regarding registration, please contact Kennard Shirley at firstname.lastname@example.org or (240) 450-3816.
Can I send more than 5 representatives from my college?
Often, colleges wish to send more than five attendees. In order to ensure the best possible experience for attendees, we cannot guarantee registrations for additional people beyond the core team members. However, if you wish to send additional attendees, please have these individuals select the “I would like to be on the wait list” option on the registration form no later than Friday, May 4, 2012. Once we have heard from all the new colleges, we will confirm which additional attendees are approved to attend Kickoff. Please note: while registration fees for the first five attendees from each college are included in your annual participation fee, there is a registration fee of approximately $550/person for approved additional attendees. Travel costs for all attendees are the responsibility of the colleges.
Where is Kickoff Institute 2012?
All Kickoff Institute meetings will take place in Portland, OR at:
- Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront
1401 SW Naito Parkway
Portland, OR 97201
How do I reserve a hotel room for Kickoff Institute?
A block of rooms for has been reserved for Kickoff Institute participants at the conference rate of $135 plus tax per night. College representatives are responsible for making their hotel reservations by Friday, May 18, 2012.
Reservations can be made online on our Dedicated Hotel Booking Website or by calling Reservations Toll Free: 1-877-901-6632 or Reservations Local Phone: 1-506-474-2009 referencing “Achieving the Dream Kickoff 2012.”
Please note: Hotel reservations made by any other method than described above are not guaranteed the conference room rate.
How will I get to Kickoff Institute?
Airport: Portland International Airport (PDX) is located 9 miles from the Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront
Driving directions from PDX: Take Airport Way East to I-205 South. Then take I-84 West to the City Center (City Center/Oregon City) exit; continue to follow signs to City Center. Cross Morrison Bridge and take Naito Parkway Exit and turn right. Hotel is 1/2 mile on right.
- Light Rail: There is a light rail system that goes from the airport to downtown Portland for $2.40 one way. The light rail station is walking distance from the Marriott. Please visit TriMet Light Rail for more information on public transportation in Downtown Portland.
- Taxi: The estimated taxi fare from PDX is $35 one way
- Airport Shuttle: The estimated cost for a scheduled airport shuttle is $14 one way. Please note: The Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront does not provide shuttle service to or from PDX.
- Parking: Kickoff Participants will receive a 25% discount on parking at the Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront
How do I prepare for Kickoff Institute?
If you haven’t already done so, please complete the Achieving the Dream College Contact Information spreadsheet and submit it to email@example.com no later than April 17, 2012. As we receive completed contact sheets, we add those individuals to our listservs so that they can start receiving general Achieving the Dream communications. Achieving the Dream listservs include one for presidents and chancellors, one for core team leaders, and one for public information officers.
ATD Readiness Assessment: A completed copy of your college’s Readiness Assessment (previously sent to you) is due to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 20, 2012. Your completed assessment will be shared with your Leadership Coach and Data Coach and used during planning sessions at the institute. Please bring copies for each member of your team. Colleges are encouraged to involve as many college representatives as possible in this self-assessment, especially faculty.
What to Bring:
Each participant should bring a laptop with Wi-Fi capability and at least one USB port; we will provide you with a thumb drive containing templates and other materials to use during workshop planning sessions. In addition, please bring a copy of your academic calendar to help during the planning process.
How can I access resources after the Institute is over?
For your convenience we have posted all resources on our site for you to access on the Kickoff Institute Resources Page.
- The Network
- Get Involved